Blog Archive

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Couchsurfing in Kentucky



First glimpse of this fine city
Louisville is a no hostel zone, which led me to return to Couchsurfing. What luck, because I met one of the most remarkable humans on the planet. Susan is a travel enthusiast like myself and we shared interesting conversations, along with delectable food and beer. We topped off our last night together with Four Roses Kentucky Bourbon. You can't leave Kentucky without bourbon, right?!




Louisville is a funky, upcoming, and friendly city that beckons wandering. Getting to downtown from the airport is a breeze and CHEAP. I traveled from the airport to Susan’s home with only one transfer for a mere $1.75. The city is walkable and I was able to get around on foot for the duration of my visit. I highly recommend trendy Frankfort Avenue and Bardstown Road for shops, restaurants, bars, and people watching.


Where to Eat and Drink:
*Against the Grain Brewery at 401 E. Main St.
The space is industrial style and hip. I consumed a Flex Arcana while noshing on a chickpea sandwich. I left there feeling all warm and fuzzy. Thanks for the excellent intro to Louisville!








*Vint Coffee at 2309 Frankfort Ave.
Pretty, delicious soy milk lattes refueled me. Sip while chillaxing on their lovely sidewalk patio.




*The Weekly Juicery - Nulu at 632 E. Market St.
Healthy quick bites can be found here. I had the Elevate Quinoa Taco Salad and it was out of this world.




*Akasha Brewing at 909 E. Market St.
Catch a flight here! I imbibed on Bordeaux Barrel-Aged Piper, 1314, Oatmeal Stout, and Cherrywood Smoked Porter Piper.




*The Silver Dollar at 1761 Frankfort Ave.
This stylish venue is a must for food and drinks. I had the Tuesday vegetarian meatloaf special and the entire meal was something to write home about.




*North End Cafe at 1722 Frankfort Ave.
I highly recommend dining on their spacious patio, where I indulged in a mouthwatering Curry Saute with Tofu.




Despite my brief journey, I was happy with the street art content that I found. Admittedly, I’m partial to the “Gettin Lucky in Kentucky” mural:)































Strolling along the Ohio River is a great way to spend the day, especially if your weather is as picture perfect as mine was. Lots of green space awaits you at Waterfront Park, and you can catch a breeze at the Swing Garden.







I had scheduled a ride on the one and only Belle of Louisville; however, had to cancel due to extreme time constraints. I was able to capture this beauty from a distance and look forward to a ride next time.



Random Shots

Fashionable tree
Adorable storefront
What would you write?


Clever!

Blessed with a gorgeous sunset
This might be the best surprise to date! Wandering around Frankfort Avenue, I came upon this collection of goods. I wasn't sure what to think, so I asked a guy on the street if he knew the scoop. He shared that a man by the name of Jerry Lotz lived there. Google told me that "Jerry's Junk" is featured on https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/20850.
















Invite me in next time for a bourbon, Jerry?

No comments:

Post a Comment