Blog Archive

Sunday, March 4, 2018

A Seattle Reunion


View from the train 

I met a lovely young woman in Chicago through Couchsurfing several years ago. She became a dear friend who got married, moved to Seattle, and recently had a baby. It was time to pay a visit to this seaport city. 

The Link light rail is the perfect method of transportation from the airport. The train runs frequently, is inexpensive, and will take you all the way downtown, if need be.

My phenomenal tour guide (aka Cricket) supported all my preferences including vegetarian food, beer, culture, and street art. I found Seattle to be hilly, laid-back, artsy, stimulating, and full of coffee shops:)

Let's begin with my favorite neighborhood - Fremont. I say this because of its wonderful quirkiness. I fell hard for Fremont Brewing. I drank some of the best beer of my life here and have been begging them to distribute in the Midwest. Babies and dogs are welcome, and the brewery offers an impressive urban beer garden. 



All my brews had me seeing stars.


While I could have spent all my free time here, we did stroll around this colorful area. Craft beer and frites are highly recommended under the gargoyle's watch at Brouwer's Cafe.



The Fremont Troll stands guard

Yes, Lenin

The Fremont Rocket

Another Seattle must is Pike Place Market. There are oodles of things to feast your eyes and stomach upon. Make a beer stop at Pike Brewing and be sure to walk along the Great Gum Wall of Seattle while heading there. Across the street from the market is the first Starbucks with an entertaining mural above it.











Swinging from a chandelier above Starbucks
My favorite detour off the beaten path was Gas Works Park. It was unfortunate that the weather wasn't in our favor; however, the views were still astonishing. 






My taste buds were completely satisfied with all the vegetarian food introduced to me and you may begin drooling now.

*Soybean stew at Tofully - 502 S. King St. (in Chinatown)


*Popeye's Last Stand at HeartBeet Organics Superfood Cafe - 1026 NE 65th St.



*Tofu Delight at Paseo Caribbean Food - 4225 Fremont Ave N. I was SO hungry there was no time for a photo!

*Fancy Spring Rolls and Garlic Wokked Vegetables at BOL Test Kitchen - 900 NE 65th St.




*Vegetarian Banh Mi at BOL - 918 NE 64th St.



Last, but not least, I'm elated with the street art that I discovered in Seattle. I'm so glad I had my face smashed against the train window while traveling from the airport, otherwise, I wouldn't have known about the impressive murals along the SODO track


















The reunion exceeded my expectations and made me miss my friend even more. And Seattle, you were marvelous. I'm already looking forward to a return visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment