Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

You Bowled Me Over Indy!



For starters, let's be honest. I wasn't expecting Indianapolis to be so innovative, artsy, and downright cool. The downtown area is incredibly attractive and clean with creative art sprinkled everywhere.

I was overjoyed to discover that Megabus drops you at the City Market. Talk about immediate satiation paired with a free live music event.




I stayed in a coed dorm at the Indy Hostel. This hostel is super laid back with friendly, helpful staff. It's located in the fantastic Broad Ripple neighborhood, which is home to oodles of bars and restaurants within walking distance. The hostel hosts numerous live music events, and I was so disappointed to just miss the annual Folk Fest (on my calendar for 2017). As you can see, the place is absolutely ah-dorable!









Two things I was eager to find were the imposing murals of Kurt Vonnegut and Mari Evans. The art truly exceeded my expectations, and are a must to see with your own eyes.


Located at 300 Mass Ave.
Located at 448 Mass Ave.
Indianapolis is home to more breweries than one can shake a stick at. During my brief visit, I was only able to make it to two of them. I'm happy to say that one of them was Indy's first - Broad Ripple Brew Pub (they also have great food). The other venue was Chilly Water Brewing Co. and I recommend both establishments.






Food Recommendations & Beer Venues:
Upland Tasting Room - intimate setting for beer and local musicians (no food)
Twenty Tap - extensive beer list and food available
The Sinking Ship - unique atmosphere offering good beer and food
Amelia's - I had sammies on their special sourdough bread at Three Carrots, so I couldn't pass by the shop without getting something.
Ameer - Middle Eastern cuisine inside City Market
Three Carrots - Vegetarian/Vegan inside City Market (so good, ate there twice)




Salted Chocolate Buckwheat Cookie
Spanakopita, Cauliflower in Tomato Sauce & Spicy Potatoes @ Ameer
Tofu Kitchen Sink @ Three Carrots
Seitan Banh Mi with a side of Dumplings @ Three Carrots
I scoped out the downtown area, Fountain Square, and Broad Ripple neighborhood. I recommend the following in these unparalleled stomping grounds:

Downtown
Massachusetts Avenue (aka Mass Ave)
City Market
St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church
Indiana Repertory Theatre
Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument
White River State Park
Canal Walk
Monon Trail (begins near downtown)
Hilbert Circle Theatre
Seek out the artistic Little Free Libraries





St. John's


Teasers from the Soldiers' & Sailors' Monument



Beautiful, artsy riverwalk along the White River State Park


Stunning pieces await you along the Canal Walk


Impressive murals on the Monon Trail


Located near 44 Virginia Ave.
Hilbert Circle Theatre
Astonishing Little Libraries, right?!

I spy the Capitol

Great way to repurpose tires


Broad Ripple
Indy CD & Vinyl
The Vogue Theatre
College Avenue in the vicinity of Indy Hostel
Broad Ripple Avenue




Love this exterior! Next time, I see a show.


Fountain Square
Fantastic street art and architecture
Fountain Square Theatre




















How charming is this gas station turned market?!
My kind of office


I run into musicians in the strangest places:)

Snaps in random areas....








Until our next rendezvous Indy, stay cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment