Blog Archive

Sunday, January 31, 2016

2015 Hostel Reviews


Photo courtesy joblo.com

In my opinion, hostels are the way to go (don't believe what you see in those movies:) I stayed at seven different locations in 2015 with repeat visits at Freehand Chicago. I prefer hostels for the price, camaraderie, and because they are typically located in an area that is convenient to transportation and activities.

Orange Drive Hostel in Hollywood, CA
This hostel was originally a home from the 1920's and is oozing with charm and character. It's located in an ideal location right off Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood, CA. I love their scrumptious free waffles in the morning, friendly staff, and location. I have stayed in a spacious dorm room at this hostel many times, and will continue to do so when I travel to LA. 
http://orangedrivehostel.com/


Apple Hostels in Philadelphia, PA
I knew what I was getting into by securing a dorm room with 27 other females; however, it was worse than I expected. There are two separate rooms with no door, and it's bunk on top of bunk. A male staff person entered the room without announcing himself, and fortunately, I had just finished changing. Not to mention, it was hot, stuffy, pricey, and oh so noisyI would not stay here again. 
http://applehostels.com/

DC Lofty in Washington, DC
This is another charming property with chandeliers and exposed brick. I stayed in a 4-person dorm with ensuite bath. The hostel was clean with a comfy bed, friendly staff, and a great location. I felt secure walking around, even from the subway late at night. Be sure to check out nearby 14th Street for fantastic bars and restaurants. I would definitely stay here again.
http://www.capitalhostels.net/

Hostel Detroit in Detroit, MI
I wrote an individual post for this hostel (bit.ly/1lAZebX). I had a great visit and would stay here again.

Freehand Chicago in Chicago, IL
Another property that I published an individual post for (bit.ly/1MWdC3T). I'm completely smitten with this hostel, and intend to have many more visits in the future.

Getaway Hostel in Chicago, IL

I always stay at Freehand Chicago when I visit the Windy City; however, I chose this location because it was within walking distance of my Halloween activities. The hostel is located on a lovely, tree-lined street and is aesthetically pleasing; however, I wouldn't stay here again. I base this on the location of the bathrooms being nowhere near the dorm room (you had to walk through two different areas), and the bunk beds are terribly unstable (my bed shifted with the slightest movement from my bunkmate).
http://www.getawayhostel.com/

The Cleveland Hostel in Cleveland, OH
I couldn't have chosen a better place to stay than the Cleveland Hostel. What a gem in a remarkable neighborhood. Immerse yourself in Ohio City for the architecture (especially the homes), phenomenal bars/restaurants, Great Lakes Brewing, and the West Side Market. The hostel is inviting, clean, tastefully decorated, and extremely accommodating. I will return for a summer visit to relish the rooftop deck. View photos here http://bit.ly/1MLnsFP


No comments:

Post a Comment