Blog Archive

Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Packing Struggle is Real


The WRONG way to pack
 
My greatest struggle when preparing for a trip is “what should I pack?” Are you with me? I either pack too much, too little, clothes that aren’t appropriate for unplanned events, and the list goes on. For the most part, I do pretty well, but continue to fall short in at least one department.

The process begins at least two weeks in advance, especially if my destination is a different climate than what I’m currently experiencing. I rarely bring luggage that isn’t a carry-on (hardside on wheels), because I want to be sure it arrives with me and I’m anxious to get the party started when I land. This preference requires careful packing, so here is what I take.

Clothes
I start by choosing the same or similar wardrobe color scheme.
Leggings/Jeggings - They don’t wrinkle, go with everything, and take up little space in your luggage. I pack at least three pairs to mix and match with tops.
Longish polyester pullovers -  Pair well with leggings and don’t wrinkle.
White tees - Casual during the day and dressed up at night.
Cotton maxi dresses - I can’t live without them! They are comfy, effortless, and can be dressed up or down.
An ultra lightweight packable jacket.
Roll each item up to alleviate wrinkles and save space.

Shoes/Boots
Ballet flats
One pair of sturdy walking shoes
One pair of sandals (not always a necessity for me)
One pair of flip flops for shared bathrooms
I can’t live without one pair of boots or booties. I wear them on the plane so they don’t need to be packed.

Accessories
I’m very minimal with jewelry, because I don’t want to lose or keep track of it.
I tend to wear solid color clothing, so I bring at least two multi-colored, stacked bracelets for a little added “kick.”
Detachable collars - I like these for “dress up.”
Decorative scarves - They not only make or break an otherwise bland outfit, but give the same outfit a new look. Scarves can also be used as a shawl if it’s chilly at night.
Hats - I can’t live without them for sun protection and bad hair days. They are also great built-in umbrellas for rainy days.
Sunglasses - Two in case I lose or break a pair.

Glam and adorable, right?
Miscellaneous
Backpack - I use this to pack necessities for the plane ride.
Handbags - One largish messenger-style bag that lays flat in my suitcase, and one small cross-body swingpack to carry boarding essentials.
Pillowcases - One to sleep on (I like to know it’s scent-free and clean) and one for dirty clothes.
Electronics gadgets - Phone/camera charger, and travel adapters for international travel.
Snacks - I don’t eat any airline food unless I’m on an extended flight; therefore, I pack snacks like nutrition bars, trail mix, and Go Picnic.
Make-up - Only the basics including mascara, eyeliner, lip balm, concealer, and foundation/blush in mineral format (no liquids).
Toiletries - Sunscreen, lotion, face wipes (I like the Yes to brands), bar soap, hair essentials in 3 oz containers, and band-aids for unexpected boo-boos. I also try to acquire as many toiletry samples as I can whenever possible.

I like to think that practice makes perfect, and at some point, the struggle will no longer be real. Happy trails!


The perfect travel jacket

No comments:

Post a Comment