Blog Archive

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Mother Fool's is More Than Just Coffee!

Since moving back to Madison, I have become enamored with Mother Fool's Coffeehouse for many reasons. It all started when I discovered their street art wall. I'm like a little kid peeking around the corner to see if it has changed every time I'm in the neighborhood now.

Not to mention, the interior is inviting, funky, and the kind of space where you can curl up with a good book and forget that you aren't at home. The music is at the perfect setting for conversation or to hear yourself think. Delicious vegan soups and mouthwatering baked goods provide sustenance, along with a plethora of beverages. Mother Fool's features temporary art exhibits and live music on the weekends. Can your coffeehouse do all this? Didn't think so....

I sat down to chat with co-owner Jon Hain to get the lowdown:
 
Mother Fool's is so much more than a coffee shop. Why are the arts so important to you?
I have always appreciated the arts and am a musician and artist myself (photographer).

How did the street art wall get started? Who should artists contact if they are interested in painting the wall?
I have always been fascinated with street art and heard about permission walls many years ago. I contacted my alder and around that same time an artist expressed an interest in painting the wall. The three of us had a meeting and the first piece was done on 9/11/01.

Interested artists can sign up by contacting Rob at 608-212-9103. 
 
Do you have any plans in the future for a more extensive food menu?
We don't have a kitchen so we rely on outside vendors to create the products we sell. We are often approached by people with new vegan foods for us to try and are open to bringing on new things.

Where do you see Mother Fool's in five years?
Right here! I just want to keep doing what we are doing. Our staff and customers keep us moving in the right direction, and we cater to our customers' needs while having a good time.

I think it's great that you exhibit artists' work and offer live music. How can artists and musicians contact you to perform or have their work shown here?
They can contact us by visiting our booking page at http://www.motherfools.com

























Now you see why I wanted to share this hidden gem - to be sure everyone makes their way to 1101 Williamson Street (better known as Willy St.)
http://www.motherfools.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment