Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I CONQUERED THE PYRAMID OF THE SUN





My travels to Mexico City wouldn't have been quite as remarkable without conquering the Pyramid of the Sun in Teotihuacan. Thankfully, I didn't let my acrophobia stop me, because the ruins exceeded my wonderment expectations!

My companion and I boarded a coach bus in Mexico City, where we were greeted with airport-style security. It was uneventful on the way there; however, coming back the police pulled over the bus and patted down every male on the bus. We were the only Americans on board and they left us alone. It was a bit unnerving at the time, but kind of exciting to talk about after.

The bus drops you right at the entrance and it's like stepping back in time. You will be inundated with locals trying to sell their wares throughout your visit. While a nuisance, they are friendly and some get the message more quickly than others.




It was our lucky day, because we got there just in time to see the Danza de los Voladores (Dance of the Flyers). I knew nothing about what was going to happen, but my companion did. One of the flyers approached us politely asking for money, and I was more than happy to oblige. He graciously agreed to a photo and I caught the entire ceremony on video. 



 


I recommend getting there as early as possible to avoid the crowds and excessive heat as the day progresses. You definitely want to get a good head start on the tour buses, which seemed to arrive mid-morning. Also, there are a couple of restrooms on-site; however, no toilet paper is provided (BYOTP).




A unanimous decision was made to tackle the Pyramid of the Sun first, since it's the highest and most popular. I took one look and wasn't feeling very optimistic; however, my wonderful companion was so encouraging. At least there are levels where you can sit and catch your breath, so that is how I achieved the beast.

I made it and felt on top of the world. It was, by far, the most amazing accomplishment I have done on my travels, and the views will leave you breathless. The entire grounds are captivating, and if you visit Mexico City, don't leave without a trip to the Pyramid of the Sun.


First break

Only halfway there? For real?


Here I come - the last leg!

Victory is mine!

What a view!

The beauty that makes the climb all worth it.




Couldn't leave without doing one of "these"
  

No comments:

Post a Comment