Blog Archive

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Tour with Madison Food Explorers

Did you know there is a delicious and informative approach to eat your way through downtown Madison?  Three words - Madison Food Explorers!  I recently learned about this organization and was hungry for some details.  I discovered the season was kicking off on May 3rd, so I signed up and here's a taste of my tour.


Rooftop at the Monona Terrace

The three-hour tour begins with some education and photo ops at the Monona Terrace, which is an architectural stunner.  The first contact with food was at Merchant, where the group devoured a delectable spiced arugula and beet salad accompanied by a sample of one of their specialties, biscuits and gravy. 


Lovely presentation at Merchant


Moving along, our knowledgeable and perky tour guide, Mandy, shared interesting facts about the city that I wasn't even aware of.  Next stop was the Capitol, where we made our way to the observation deck for some fabulous views of the city (hold on to your hat)!


Panoramic from the observation deck   

Off to Fromagination to discuss and sample cheese.  We aren't known as America's Dairyland for nothing.  This adorable shop is a feast for your eyes and stomach.  It's also quite popular, so keep that in mind if you pay them a visit.



So many choices, so little time at Fromagination  
     

For the sake of some mystery, I will only say that we also visited Ian's Pizza (toppings you won't believe), Himal Chuli (wonderful Nepalese/Himalayan), and State Street Brats (think spicy and spotted).


Good times at State Street Brats

In my opinion, they save the best for last.  Your final destination is the Memorial Union, which is the perfect place to unwind for a few hours.  Cool chairs, the lake, live music, beer, ice cream, people watching, and a whole lot more.


The Terrace at Memorial Union


Ready for your own exploration?  I just might be your guide, because I enjoyed myself so much I signed up:)
www.madisonfoodexplorers.com


No comments:

Post a Comment