Blog Archive

Monday, September 9, 2013

The visually stunning Amalfi Coast and Sorrento

The last part of my journey to Italy was the jaw-dropping Amalfi Coast and Sorrento. The majority of this post will be photos, because I traveled here to take in the scenery and photos speak better than words this time.

The sea and mountains in Sorrento



A shuttered hotel that I would like to rescue

The colorful coastline in Sorrento
Sorrento is beautiful in its own right and the place to catch a bus to the coast.  My definition for this bus ride can be defined as death-defying due to the height and extremely narrow road.  I wonder what kind of training is involved for the bus operators before they are let loose.  You can see what I mean right here.




I dined at the same restaurant twice because of the stunning outdoor garden area and food.  I even ordered the same dish both visits because it was so delicious!  I highly recommend eating at O'Parrucchiano if you visit Sorrento -  http://www.parrucchiano.com/en/index.php

Tuscan bean & escarole soup at O'Parrucchiano



The gorgeous outdoor dining area 
Arriving in Positano was a dream come true!  After recovering from the initial shock of beauty, I ventured around to discover an abundance of unique shops.  I decided to eat at a fancy restaurant called Ristorante Max - http://www.ristorantemax.it/ing/default.htm.  It's an art gallery, wine bar and restaurant rolled into one exquisite space.  This restaurant is very pricey including a charge for being seated; however, I don't regret it for one minute and it was well worth it.


Magnificent Positano!

I had lunch in this lovely outdoor area 
Too chilly for a dip, but good for people watching
Despite my fears, it was time to hop on board again to go a little further up the coast to Amalfi.  Unfortunately, I didn't have much time here, but that just means I will have to go back (no arm twisting required).

Amalfi dressed in white

The beautiful Amalfi Cathedral

Time for a gelati before hitting the road

I think seeing the Amalfi Coast in person should be at the top of everyone's bucket list.  It's still hard to comprehend that I was actually there.  I can't wait to return and explore some other areas including Capri and Ravello.

No comments:

Post a Comment