Blog Archive

Thursday, May 31, 2012

There's more to Dublin than Guinness!


Along the River Liffey

I traveled to Dublin in April of 2012 and became very good friends with Guinness.  I have friends in Chicago who tried to get me to like it for years, but I could never finish a glass.  That is, until I arrived in Ireland.  I couldn't wait to go to the Temple Bar, as I started following them on Facebook and knew I would be in for some good craic!  This is where I drank every last drop of Guinness, because it tastes different.


The one and only Temple Bar

I discovered the next day that it tastes so much better because it's fresh.  I learned this when I went to the Guinness Storehouse, which is an amazing and interesting place.  It's informative with a lot of history and visuals.  Once you make your way to the top, you will have stunning 360° views from the Gravity Bar, where you will receive a complimentary pint of Guinness while taking in the beauty.

Atop the Gravity Bar at Guinness Storehouse

However, there is more to Dublin than Guinness!  I really enjoyed strolling around Trinity College, admiring the architecture and perfectly manicured grounds.  There are remarkable churches and cathedrals all over Dublin.  My favorite, though, has to be going to the coast to breathe in the lovely Irish Sea.  I went to Dun Laoghaire - Dublin Bay and it was simply breathtaking.



The beautiful Irish Sea

My bar/restaurant recommendations include Bear, Porterhouse Brewing Co, Fixx Coffeehouse, Port House Wine & Tapas, and JJ's Bar at the Old Jameson Distillery.  

Last, but certainly not least, I hope everyone who travels to Dublin gets the privilege of meeting the greatest street performer.  I came upon Ross quite by accident on my last afternoon, and he drew quite a crowd with his quick wit, fire-eating talents, and unicycle riding.  He is very entertaining, and I guess it was the luck of the Irish that I ran into him.



Ross, the most entertaining street performer


No comments:

Post a Comment