Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Monday in Chicago

What can you accomplish in one day in Chicago? Lots of things if you are committed and organized. I went to eat, drink and be merry! I was also on a mission to find some new street art, and make a pit stop at one of my favorite attractions, Millenium Park. 

After a wicked Megabus ride, I was ready to tear into some delicious pizza from my favorite pizzeria, Lou Malnati's. I get the same pie every time - thin crust cheese with a spinach mix (enhanced with garlic, basil and onion).




I needed to walk off some of those calories, so it was time to find my first piece of street art. If you are fan like me, you know who Icy & Sot are. The Iranian born, Brooklyn based duo were asked to paint a mural to encourage kids to drink more water. How cool is that?




I didn't choose a very attractive route to get there; however, finding an unexpected piece by Roa made up for it. Roa is from Ghent, Belgium and likes to paint animals and rodents.




This street art trip cost me 2+ hours on foot and I was ready for some beer. I wanted to patronize a new venue and chose Fountainhead. It was apparent that I made a good decision after perusing the beer menu. I ordered a Surly Damien and a 3 Floyds Dreadnaught. They were both what the doctor ordered and I was ready to hit the road again.



3 Floyds

Surly Damien

I wanted to get back downtown to Millenium Park before dusk. I never grow weary of watching the crown fountains or trying to take a cool photo in front of the cloud gate (aka the bean). I even spied a graceful, enormous head sculpture.








Do you see me?




I had time to kill before dinner, so I decided to do one of my favorite things - wander. I love the suspense of never knowing what I might come across. I strolled along the Chicago River and some side streets around Millenium Park. 

Here are some miscellaneous sightings from the day:











 


 


















One of my favorite artists - Obey Giant!















My beer buzz had worn off and I was hungry. I lost track of time and didn't get to relax at one of my best-loved restaurants, Native Foods. Fortunately, I chose a location within a few blocks of Union Station. I placed a large order and the smart woman who took it suggested that I get it all to go. For this reason, I don't have a pretty photo of the delectable food. 

What I ordered: Sweet Potato Fries, Native Chili, Saigon Rolls and Lemongrass Broccoli. I polished it all off at the restaurant with the exception of the Saigon Rolls, which I had to save for the next day.




As you can see, one can do a lot on a Monday (or any day) in Chicago. I booked a couple more of these day adventures, and plan to explore different neighborhoods each time. Until next time Chi-Town!


No comments:

Post a Comment